To Get the Best from Your New Awnings
Handling during fabrication and transportation may have left some minor wrinkles in the awning fabric. Avoid rolling the awning up with these wrinkles still in the fabric. Wet the fabric while the awning is fully extended using a domestic hose at a moderately high pressure for several minutes until the fabric is uniformly wet. Allow the fabric to dry completely in full sun. Follow this procedure if the awning has been rolled up for a long period of time.
Tips for Longer Life of Fabric
Awnings should be used fully extended. Periodically adjust awnings to their fullest extension if they have been used partly retracted for any length of time.
Only roll up your awnings when clean and dry.
Always roll up your awnings in high winds and storms – the leverage exerted can strain fittings and mountings.
Keep your awnings clean! Do not mow lawns or clean gutters, etc. near awnings when they are extended.
Occasionally rejuvenate your awnings! Exposure to the elements and excessive cleaning may affect waterproofing and appearance of awning fabrics. Additional proofing finishes may help maintain the look. Only ever use one type of proofing agent on an awning. Fluoro-chemicals like ScotchGuard fabric protector may be used on all fabrics.
Store, pack or roll up only when clean and dry. To remove dirt, brush dry fabric with soft brush (occasional hosing may remove dust and some ingrained dirt).
Never scrub the fabric.
Immediately remove deposits of organic matter such as soil, grass cuttings, leaf litter, bird droppings, vehicle exhaust, pollutants, etc.
ACRYLIC FABRICS – BCS Awnings takes no responsibility for the performance of any cleaning agent or potential damage caused by the use of such. These cleaning instructions are universal for acrylic fabrics and are to be used as a guide only.
Water based stains should be treated first by rinsing with cold water. If this is not sufficient, acrylic canvas may be washed with a mild solution of soap in lukewarm water and rinsed thoroughly. We recommend gentle brushing with a soft brush or sponge as harsh scrubbing can damage the Teflon coating. Do not roll up until fully dry.
MESH FABRICS – BCS Awnings takes no responsibility for the performance of any cleaning agent or potential damage caused by the use of such.
These cleaning instructions are universal for PVC fabrics and are to be used as a guide only. To obtain maximum life from mesh fabric awnings, the following tips should be observed:
- Keep the fabric clean by brushing regularly both sides of the fabric using a soft-bristle brush and hosing occasionally with clear and cold water.
- Do not apply detergents, cleaning fluids, soaps or any types of insecticides and garden sprays. • Do not allow foreign matter; dirt, bird droppings, tree sap etc, to remain in contact with the fabric. • Do not allow petrochemicals or solvents to come into contact with the fabric.
- Avoid harsh scrubbing or rubbing otherwise the surface of the fabric may damage.
- Before stowing away your shade solution, ensure that the fabric is thoroughly dry.
Removing stubborn stains:
- Mix a weak concentration of household detergent (1:20 ratio) in lukewarm water. The detergent must not contain solvents.
- Apply the detergent and water mix to the fabric using a soft cloth, sponge, soft-bristle brush or soft mop.
After cleaning, rinse off ALL residue with plenty of fresh clear, cold water.
Preventing the spread of mildew:
- Mix diluted chlorine bleach (1:20 ratio) in lukewarm water, then rinse off ALL residues with plenty of fresh clear, cold water.
CLEAR & TINT PVC – BCS Awnings takes no responsibility for the performance of any cleaning agent or potential damage caused by the use of such.
Using soft sponge or cloth – lightly wipe using mild solution of detergent in warm water. Thoroughly rinse with clean water. Allow to dry before rolling up.